We're here to help your lease-end be a smooth process, so you can focus on your next Mazda.
Turning in your leased Mazda
Everything you need to know to prepare for the end of your lease
Schedule your complimentary pre-inspection1 at least 45 days prior to your turn-in date to ensure you receive an appointment that fits your schedule. You may schedule an appointment online or contact us. If your lease originated in NH/WI: The pre-inspection must be completed within 15 days prior to turn-in. Our inspection after the termination of the lease shall be conclusive unless you obtain a counter-inspection.
A pre-inspection is an evaluation of the wear and use on your vehicle so you can anticipate potential lease-end charges2. Pre-inspections are completed by an independent inspection company, AutoVIN, and can be arranged at your home, office, or other convenient location. You can review your online condition report about 24 hours after your appointment.
If you do not get a pre-inspection, we will still complete an inspection after you turn in your vehicle, and you will not have the opportunity to make repairs. Applicable excess wear and use charges will appear on your final Lease-End Bill.
link 1return to main body contentIf you decide to schedule a pre-inspection, it must be completed by the 15th day prior to your maturity date. Pre-inspections expire after 60 days. Contact us if you have an expired pre-inspection, and we'll explain the next steps.
link 2return to main body contentYou may have purchased an optional product(s) to cover costs associated with repairing the vehicle and to reduce or avoid end of term charges. If so, please carefully review the benefits and exclusions of any optional products you purchased. Contact your retailer to complete any covered repairs prior to turn in.
At the time of your pre-inspection, you'll receive a link to an online condition report that will be available to view within about 24 hours. This will provide an estimate of the cost of repairing all excess wear and use items present on the vehicle. This information will help you decide if it's in your best interest to repair any of the items before returning your vehicle.
You have the option to make repairs before turning in your vehicle. If you choose to make repairs, send us your receipts through secure message or contact us before returning your vehicle. We'll verify the repairs and apply any credits to your final lease-end bill. All repairs must be completed by a licensed repair facility.
Remember: We will subtract the first $1,000 of Wear and Use charges from your estimate and final bill, if applicable (see your lease contract for additional details and exclusions).
If you turn in the vehicle at the end of your lease term, please be aware that you may be responsible for paying these other charges (see your lease for details):
- Disposition (Turn-In) Fee: The disposition fee is commonly charged if you don’t purchase the vehicle.
- Excess Mileage: You may owe a per-mile charge for each mile you’ve driven that’s over the amount of the mileage allowance disclosed in your lease.
- Any Outstanding Charges on Your Account: Generally, you may owe any other amounts due under your lease, such as past due lease payments, unpaid late charges, sales/use tax on certain charges (per applicable state and local laws), unpaid parking/traffic citations billed to your account, and any personal property taxes due.
Here's what you need to do to return your vehicle:
- Contact your originating dealer to schedule your turn in appointment
- Cancel recurring payments
- Some states have specific license plate return instructions or release of ownership practices, so please check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and/or dealer regarding license plate return practices before turning in your vehicle. Select states require license plates be left with the vehicle.
- Remove all personal items
- Place the owner's manual in the glove box
- Turn in all sets of keys to the vehicle
- Clear any personal digital information from in-vehicle interfaces
- Anything that came with your Mazda when you first leased it is required to be included when returned. You may be charged for missing items, including keys, manuals, and/or cargo covers
- Avoid tire replacement charges - ensure that all tires match and are of comparable quality to the original equipment, no snow tires, no tires are missing or damaged, and each tire must have at least 1/8th-inch tread at its lowest point
- Send us a secure message or contact us within one business day after turning in the vehicle, with your turn-in details: name/address of the dealer, name of the person who took your keys, turn-in date, and mileage from your Odometer Statement.
If you return the vehicle prior to fulfilling your contractual lease obligations, you may owe us any early termination liability, as due under your lease agreement. This may be a substantial charge depending on when you terminate during the lease term.
When your lease ends, federal law (and state law, if applicable) requires that you disclose the mileage on your vehicle’s odometer. We ask that you complete, sign, and date an opens in a new windowOdometer Statement and return it to us either when you return the leased vehicle or when you send us your funds to purchase the leased vehicle.
PURCHASING YOUR MAZDA
LOVE YOUR LEASED MAZDA? WE’LL HELP YOU KEEP IT.
Mazda Capital Services
You can also send us a secure message on topics related to:
- Vehicle return notification (please include the name/address of the dealer, name of the person who took your keys, turn-in date, and mileage from your Odometer Statement)
- Repair receipts
- Extension requests
- Odometer statement